Construction of frame houses in recent years there has been more and more actively. Used SIP panels and oriented strand boards require additional processing before the decorative finish. That is why before beginning builders often raises the question – what is the putty OSB boards and how to get a quality and durable result. And talk about this.
Briefly about this building material
Oriented strand Board, or in English oriented strand board, sheet, produced by extrusion of large chips of coniferous breeds. Under high temperatures and pressure the material acquires the desired characteristics, some of which are comparable with the properties of natural wood. Oriented arrangement of chips in layers makes the plate resistant to bending and it is quite hard. OSB has earned popularity due to the high strength characteristics. It is easy to process and installation that does not delaminate over time. Another advantage is the relatively low price.
Putty? In the manufacture of OSB, a minimum number of binders, so the bulk of the material – wood. She has good moisture barrier properties. Therefore, those who are planning to plaster OSB, to paste it with Wallpaper or paint, often fear of deformation of a material under the influence of water contained in the applied formulations. For protection from moisture and need to putty oriented strand boards. In addition, this training will allow you to level the surface, to fix seams and to increase the adhesion of the decoration to the surface.
Optimum performance mortar
First and foremost, it is recommended to abandon the putty water-based. Its absorption can lead to unpleasant consequences – delamination, deformation and swelling of the leaves. Then what you can putty OSB? The answer is simple. You should give preference to the mixture, designed to work with natural wood.
Main characteristics of the most suitable composition given below:
- High adhesion, allowing the solution evenly to cover the plate, protected by a layer of wax or resin. Such a composition will not fall off with time.
- Uniform consistency without large inclusions. So the surface will be more smooth and grainy structure does not spoil the appearance of decorative finishes.
- The minimum degree of shrinkage.
- After drying, the composition should harden and resist grinding.
To use cement mixture, designed for use with concrete or brick surface is not recommended. Bonded at the wall it will not last more than six months.
The choice of composition of the filler
There are several types of mixtures that are ideal for the levelling and protection of walls of oriented strand Board (OSB):
- Oil-adhesive compositions. Made from linseed oil, varnish and glue with the addition of thickeners. The most popular option.
- Nitroshpaklevok. Fast drying formulations based on resins and cellulose esters. Before use, dilute with solvent.
- There are also specialized acrylic compositions intended for the treatment of the OSB boards or other surfaces of wood.
- Polymer putty. Most commonly used for grouting, but well manifest itself as a uniform coating.
- Latex compositions. Not the most economical option, but it has virtually no drawbacks. Minimal shrinkage, even layer and almost complete water resistance make latex putty the leader among its competitors.
The alternative is to serve a special paint mixed with fillers.
The sequence of actions
How to spackle wall of OSB? Some of the procedures recommended to do before installing the Board. In particular, the primed ends of the plates, as they are more likely to absorb moisture. After installation, to make it not work.
Another preparatory stage – the grinding surface with sandpaper or wire brush. It will also increase the adhesion between the sheet and coating material. If you do not want to spend the time and effort, better to buy already polished in the factory plate. It will cost a bit more. When everything is ready, you can begin to work. By this time, all joints must be sealed with sealant and leveled.
- Applying a polymer primer designed to create a surface protective film. It will prevent the appearance of spots formed by the resins and other substances contained in OSB. This layer should be dried at least 4 hours depending on the type of primer.
- Puttying. Occurs in 2 stages – a small amount of the putty composition is applied to the wall with a steel spatula, and the next movement removed the excess. The layer obtained is very thin and smooth. It is desirable to perform the filling in 2 layers – one in the vertical direction, the second horizontal. So the surface will be more smooth. This should be done in a room with a humidity of 60% and only at zero temperature.
- After drying transferred to the levelling of the surface with sandpaper. At this stage it is necessary to remove all existing defects. Before proceeding to the next stage, the walls must be thoroughly cleaned of dust formed.
- Reinforcement of non-woven canvas or any other designed for this roll material. Glue the leaves overlapping, and then the location of the thickening double incision and remove the excess. This layer will protect against the formation of cracks that develop from shrinkage of the building.
After that you can proceed to decorating whether it be painting, wallpapering or plastering.
To in preparing the walls no problems, and it is not swollen from moisture, you must choose the right mix. Than putty OSB, we have seen – plastic compositions based on polymers, oils, adhesives, resins or latex. A clear and phased implementation of all recommendations will allow you to create a perfectly flat and smooth surface that will last for years to come.