Sandwich or SIP panel (Structural Insulated Panel) is currently widely used in the construction of prefabricated houses. For some, the main advantage of this material is the price, for others ease of installation. These and other characteristics of sandwich panels of OSB will be discussed below, but at the same time identify its pros and cons.
Sandwich panels have a certain resemblance to the same sandwich. This building material is a three-layer structure of the cladding and insulation. The basis is oriented strand Board OSB. It is produced by pressing large wood chips at high temperatures with the addition of resin for bonding. Between two sheets of OSB are placed insulation. It may be rigid polystyrene foam, glued to the base, or polyurethane foam, which is injected under pressure. Also, as the insulation can be mineral wool was used.
Produced sandwich panels typically have the following dimensions: 1.2 or 2.4 meters in width and from 2.4 to 7.3 meters in length. The thickness can be from 10 to 30 cm, depending on the destination plate and depending in what climate area the planned construction of the building.
In our country, timber frame construction technology using SIP called Canada, although it first appeared in the United States. Sandwich panels were created as a model of economical construction material. Many years later their structure was improved, but the essence remains the same. With their help, in the shortest time create an inexpensive but comfortable accommodation.
As mentioned above, the SIP panels are used for the construction of frame houses. The erection often requires about a week. And most of the time is the creation of the Foundation and development of elements of the framework. Despite the fact that a houses Foundation often serves as a skeleton of wooden beams or metal beams, sandwich panels of OSB due to the high strength can themselves perform the role of bearing walls. In this case, the construction technology is called frameless. For connection of panels use dowels from OSB or thermostable SIP of lesser thickness.
Sandwich panels create the exterior walls, roof, partitions and floors. In our country they are used for private housing, and abroad successfully building a multi-storey building from the SIP. To build low prefabricated house may be only 2-3 people without additional equipment. And the lightweight design will help to save more on Foundation, which can be done slightly deepened.
Here are the reasons why many choose to build their homes exactly the sandwich panels of OSB:
- the thermal insulation properties are several times greater than brick, wood and gas silicate blocks;
- not subject to shrinkage;
- operating temperature range — from -60 to +50°C;
- a very small thickness of the walls allows to increase the usable space in the building;
- inexpensive compared to other construction materials;
- easy installation;
- ease of processing – sawn using conventional tools;
- construction work can be performed at any time of the year;
- perfectly smooth walls and corners;
- no problem with decorative finish both outside and inside OSB rests on almost any paint;
- you can do easy spiral Foundation;
- minimum construction time – the finished house for 2-3 weeks;
- high strength – able to withstand horizontal loads up to 400 kg and the vertical to 3 t per meter of length;
- service life is 50 years;
- a high degree of fire safety;
- protection from insects and rodents.
Like any building material, SIP has its disadvantages. They are much less than advantages, but to say they are not:
- Very low permeability. Before you build a home of sandwich panels, you should carefully consider ventilation in it.
- Evaporation of formaldehyde from the OSB. It is hazardous to human health, although the quality of the plates is no more than the maximum allowable rate. In any case, for additional protection it is recommended not to leave the structural elements without decoration.
- It is not recommended to hang panels of heavy items of furniture or appliances (powerful air) as the thickness of the plate may not hold the mount. The solution is to reinforce the walls with plasterboard, an additional sheet of OSB or pre-set embedded beams in places of hanging weights.
- If the joints are not paid enough attention, the insulation will be broken. All cracks should be repaired with foam.
Choosing to build individual houses, sandwich panels of OSB up to you. They have both minuses and pluses, both positive and negative feedback. However, a great number of advantages compared to many other building materials speaks in favor of SIP.