Durability and reliability of OSB slabs allowed them to become one of the most popular materials used in frame construction. They are resistant to moisture and parasites can withstand a lot of weight and quite easy to handle. Unless it is necessary something else to build the house in the shortest possible time. This article will tell you why the greatest popularity has won it OSB-3 stove, the technical characteristics of which we will consider below.
In the section oriented particle Board is a layered structure-several rows of chips are tightly glued together under the influence of pressure and temperature. The main raw material is coniferous wood, most often pine. Large chips from 8 to 15 cm in length are differently oriented in layers. Therefore, OSB has received such a name. It sounds like" oriented strand board " or OSB. The layered structure and large-sized chips increase the flexibility of the material and allow to reduce the amount of glue, which in properties brings the material to solid wood.
The binder is a mixture of water-resistant resins, boric acid and synthetic wax. In its composition, they contain a small amount of formaldehyde, which, with proper treatment, practically does not harm human health.
Types of OSB plates
Oriented particle boards, presented in the domestic market, are divided into 4 types:
- OSB-1 is the lowest quality variety. Not intended for use in wet conditions. It is used in the production of furniture and packaging.
- OSB-2-is suitable for creating load-bearing structures in rooms with low humidity.
- OSB–3-is used to create structural elements in any conditions.
- OSB–4 is a material capable of withstanding significant mechanical stress and is used in conditions with any humidity.
The latter option is the most expensive, it is rare to find in the ordinary construction market. Therefore, it is most commonly used OSB-3 plate.
Technical characteristics of this material allow to use it practically in all areas of construction.
The performance properties of OSB
OSB-3 knowingly gained such popularity among builders. This confirms the following list of key benefits:
- Strength. The building material is able to withstand an average load of 640 kg/m3.
- The ease of processing. For cutting and sanding of OSB do not need special tools, like drills, saws and screws.
- Installation. For all its strength, these plates are easy enough to install them could be handled by one person.
- Density. When drilling and sawing the material does not crumble and does not delaminate. Large chips allow you to hold screws even at a distance of 1 cm from the edge of the plate without chipping.
- Appearance. For some aesthetic properties of the slab OSB are quite attractive. However, if desired, the sheets can be coated with any paint, designed to work with wood.
- Moisture resistance. Certified material does not change its performance properties at temperatures above 20 ° C and humidity of 65%.
- Fire safety. The material is tested for fire resistance and speed of fire spread. The results show that it can be used for exterior wall cladding. Special impregnation and flame retardant paints can be used for additional protection.
- Price. OSB-3 is different in value from competitors with similar technical characteristics.
- Dimensions. Standard dimensions of OSB-3 allow you to select the leaves for different purposes: smooth: 2440*1220; 2500*1250; with grooved ends: 2440*1220; 2440*590; 2450*590; 2500*1250. The thickness of the plates can vary from 9 to 22 mm.
OSB application areas
Operational properties allow to use OSB-3 for the following purposes:
- Creating a crate for the roof.
- Covering of external and internal walls.
- The device rough floors.
- Installation of ceilings.
- I-beams comparable in strength characteristics with concrete and reinforced concrete structures.
- Creating support surfaces for facing materials or logs.
- High-quality packaging in the form of pallets, crates and boxes.
- In furniture production oriented particle boards of the third type are used for the manufacture of parts subjected to high load.
- Sandwich panels in the construction of frame houses.
Is there OSB-3 in North America?
Delivery of OSB-3, corresponding to all standards, in Europe and Asia are mainly engaged in two companies – Kronospan and Egger. However, many people dream to buy it is North American building material. After all, this region is famous for its extensive coniferous forests, and Canada and the United States – a serious approach to quality control. But with the purchase of this plate OSB-3 from North American manufacturers can be linked to complexity.
Plates from USA and Canada can be called OSB-3 only if they are created by a special recipe and have passed the appropriate European certification. These sheets have a special marker with a display of the varieties recommended by the pitch of rafters, class bonding material and the logo of the organization conducting the test. They are not deformed, practically do not swell, have high rates of strength and durability.
How to choose a real North American OSB-3:
- When purchasing canadian or us plates make sure they are labelled OSB-3 and a mark about correspondence to the standard EN-300.
- Review the test report attached to the certificate of conformity. The coefficient of swelling should be no more than 15%.
No wonder among the different types of oriented strand Board sheets of the most popular that is OSB-3 plate. Specifications allow to use it in the most different areas – at creation of floors and overlappings, walls and a roof, in furniture production and for production of difficult constructive elements. Being reliable and durable, it really deserves to be trusted.