One of the most important stages of external works is the decoration of the facades of the building. If the material from which the wall is oriented strand Board OSB, of finishes can be several veneer siding, faux stone, or even decking. But the most economical and easy to perform will be enamel coating. This article will provide comprehensive information on how to paint the OSB plate outside and what difficulties may be associated with it
Oriented particle Board is often used for the construction of frame houses or for the covering of ready-made. It is distinguished by good strength and thermal insulation characteristics, but the moisture resistance leaves much to be desired. After all, the raw material for the creation of OSBB is non-working coniferous wood or wood waste. And this material is prone to deform under the influence of water. However, it is eco-friendly, practical, easy to handle and install.
Experts recommend to use for external works OSB-3 and OSB-4, but the first option is less preferable. Plates of the third category do not have special protection against moisture, therefore require additional treatment. OSB-4 is much more expensive, so for facade work in the construction of economical housing it is chosen infrequently.
How to choose a paint
Before deciding how to paint OSB plate on the outside, you need to select the appropriate LKM. OSB is created from wood, so it is recommended to use paint for wooden surfaces. And you need to choose only the one that is designed for facade work.
Consider the most popular types of decorative finishes:
- Oil paint. It is becoming less popular due to a large number of shortcomings. It is very toxic, leaves drips and dries for a long time. The durability of this coating leaves much to be desired – under the influence of the sun and time, it fades and flakes. The price is above average.
- Acrylic. The best option – as for the cost, and the duration of operation. Quite unpretentious paint, easy to apply, resistant to various weather conditions. The richness of the color scheme, created with the help of color, is an advantage.
- Alkyd enamel. The main advantages are affordable price, resistance to sunlight and low temperatures (up to -30 degrees). It dries fairly quickly (up to 10 hours), but is flammable and has a sharp unpleasant odor.
- Latex paint. The most expensive, but the most attractive option. Dense and durable latex coating provides reliable protection against shocks, scratches and natural factors, easy to stretch at various deformations of the base. This paint is completely impervious to moisture, which is not always good. After all, for normal long-term use of wood boards need to "breathe".
Painting OSB is used and the varnish used for the exterior. In its composition must necessarily be inhibitors that prevent the penetration of ultraviolet light. But not everyone is satisfied with the aesthetic quality of the material, so much more often the choice falls on opaque coverts.
How to paint
Staining OSB is associated with some difficulties, which, with a frivolous attitude to them, can lead to deformation of the material and uneven coating. What you should pay attention to:
- The structure of the end faces of the plate is more porous, so their absorbency is higher. To the density of the paint and color on all sides were the same, the edges must be treated with a sealing compound or putty.
- Before coloring edge of a plate it is necessary to Polish, a little rounding corners. Otherwise, the coating will be uneven.
- Application of primer is a mandatory procedure. It will make the surface smoother and improve the adhesion of the paint to the wood, thus prolonging the life of the decorative finish.
- If the texture of the OSB seems unattractive to you, you will have to zashpaklevat the entire facade before moving on to staining.
- Apply coloring composition is recommended 2 times, although it is often necessary 3-4 coloring. This is due not only to the protection of OSB from external factors, but also to aesthetics. Through a thin layer of paint translucent large chips of material, adversely affecting the appearance of the facade. It is important that each next layer is applied only after the previous one has dried completely.
- Installation of OSB is made by corrosion-proof screws. Otherwise, rust may appear on the walls over time. If the hardware was purchased usual, to protect her by any anti-corrosion coating.
- Antiseptic protection will help extend the service life of the decorative decoration and the facade. This does not apply to OSB-4, because it is processed in the production of all the necessary impregnation.
The optimum combination of materials
Not to experiment, wondering how to behave in the paint with primer is easier to choose the already proven and viable options. This will not only save time and money, but also ensures a uniform and durable coating.
- Good results are obtained by combining primer " Aqua Primer 3130 "with paint"AQUATOP 2920-04". For thick and high-quality decorative finishes you only need two layer of dye. The result – a smooth water resistant coating with increased UV protection. For cleaning, detergents can be used.
- A more economical option. Primer " Teknol 2881 "and paint"nordika Eco 3330". This combination of properties is not much different from the previous one, but does not tolerate aggressive household chemicals.
Create a beautiful and durable facade finish is not difficult, if you know how to paint OSB plate outside. It is enough to prepare the surface, sand the sharp corners, primed walls and apply a few layers of suitable coatings. Will just have to decide on the color scheme.